HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 1997 14:08:05 -0400
On Fri, 18 Apr 1997, Iain Stuart wrote:

> Mail*Link(r) SMTP               Historic Lifespans
>
> I'd say the census data would be the obvious place to start but this would
> give you the raw data. The population statistics are often analyised by
> economic historians to work out mortality tables there is lots of this work
> done in the Uk and Australia but I dont recall any specific US references
> although, no doubt  there is some.
>
> Iain Stuart
> Uni of sydney

Hi!  I missed the original question, but it seems someone is looking for
census and/or mortality data in US for end of 19th century.  Ihave done
some census and mortality research and have a ref
for a bit earlier.  A fellow named De Bow wrote compendia during the
middle of the 19th century.  For example, J.D.B. DeBow, 1854 is
"Statistical View of the United States: Compendium of the Seventh Census"
Washington, DC: U.S. Senate.  His 1855 book, "US Census Office.  Mortality
Statistics of the Seventhy Census of the United States, 1850" is also
useful.  That was published in Washington, DC by Nicholson.  I'm sure that
if the bean counters began that early in this country, they continued
throughout the last century and into this one.  You might need to just dig
a bit at the library.

Judith Harrington
Georgia State University
Dept. of Anthropology