HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Homer Thiel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 1997 11:40:33 -0700
The SOPA/ROPA debate has repeatedly noted that one benefit of setting up ROPA wo
uld be to have somewhere to submit grievances to other lapses in archaeological
ethics.

I know of two cases here in Arizona where ROPA would be useful. In one case an a
rchaeological firm consistently misses sites or declares sites ineligible becaus
e the area was once plowed. Needless to say, major sites would have been destroy
ed except for the quick actions of interested archaeologists. In the second case
, a prominent archaeologist has excavated at a number of sites over the last 10
years and hasn't published a single report.

I am not excited about paying additional dues and fees. However, with an organiz
ation like ROPA, it might be possible to assemble data on firms/individuals and
force them to act responsibly or get out of archaeology entirely.

One problem I see is that when firms/individuals are censored by ROPA for their
activities they will probably immediately resort to lawsuits against ROPA. How w
ould legal costs be paid for?