HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2007 17:01:45 EDT
Bob,

What great irony that you sent the article on the 50th anniversary of
Sputnik and the herald for the Space Age, not to mention the Googie  architectural
styls that flourished in the late 1950s. I am writing the report  for
landmarking the house of Thomas M. Hemphill, a Convair scientist whose  predictions of
the location and time the Sputnik passed over San Diego were so  precise that
the USGS put a measuring point in his roof and Naval Electronic  Laboratory
scientists constantly telephoned him for predictions. The local  newspapers,
television studios, and magazines were constantly calling him for  interviews and
they published his daily prediction of when to go out to see  Sputnik for
several years. Heck, I even recall the hubub about Sputnik and  watched it many
times over the eastern night skies. Hemphill was an incredible  scientist, but
this single event escalated him to world fame in October of  1957.

P.S. If you ever get to Gila Bend, Arizona, there is a motel with Sputnik
satellite decorations that is the ultimate in Googie architectural style.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.