HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Iain Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 1997 18:50:50 +1000
Mail*Link(r) SMTP               Japanese Ceramics

I am wondering whether anyone can help me identify two Japanese trade marks
from a site I am working on. They probablly date from c1930's as they are
associated with British ceramics dating from 1908 and from 1946. As I imagine
sales of Japanese ceramics would be limmited in Australia after WWII I suspect
they date from the 1930s and were deposited in the post-war era.

The first mark has THE IRONSTONE CHINA over what apears to be a coat of arms
under which is ??AT SUMURAR CO  MADE IN JAPAN

The second one has some form of wreath in a U shape inside of which is
IRONSTONE CHINA  MADE IN JAPAN SPMC

Is there an equivilent to Godden that I should search for or are there
individuals with the relevent knowladge that I should contact??

Stratigraphically they sit over a large shell deopsit (that may or may not be
a midden) that lies between the New Southern Railway and its terminus!

Yours

Iain Stuart
University of Sydney