HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Linda Derry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 1996 16:59:53 EST
-- [ From: Linda Derry * EMC.Ver #2.5.03 ] --

Lisa,

I couldn't find your complete name or email addresd in my system, so I'm inflict
ing this message on the whole list.  This is a reply to your Feb. 23 request for
 archaeologists working on late 19th century hotel sites:

Unfortunately, my interest is in early 19th century southern towns and I have so
me great documentary information on the early 19th century hotels in my Alabama
town site.  However,  I do know of someone who would love to correspond with you
 about a late 19th century hotel site.   This site is the St. James Hotel site i
n Selma, Alabama.  Beth Gantt is in the process of writing the report right now.
  Her address is:  Beth Gantt, R.S. Webb & Associates, P.O. Drawer 1319, Holly S
prings, GA 30142.   She does not have easy access to email, but she would love t
o correspond with anyone who has worked on late 19th century southern hotel site
s.   She excavated the rear wing, courtyard, and service yard of the St. James H
otel, an extant hotel undergoing restoration.  The hotel was built on the buff o
verlooking the main steamboat landing for Selma on the Alabama River.  Selma rep
laced "my" town site Cahawba, as the central river port and market for a very ri
ch cotton area, after the Civil War.  Jesse James even slept at
the St. James - or so "they" say.

I live in Selma, and was very suprised by some of the faunal remains.  I think B
eth said they found a lot of sheep bones.  You can't find lamb at the supermarke
t today in Selma.  And I would have expected pork, beef, vension, turtle anythin
g but lamb to turn up in the trash pits.  Beth does have extant menus from the h
otel. Sheep are just not real big here in the deep south - SCS introduced some a
ngora goats a couple of years ago to help farmer diversify, but sheep?  no way!
  There was also an artesian well and a turtle pond in the brick courtyard.  I b
elieve Beth found evidence that they were bottling the water (from the well, not
 the turtle pond!).   Anyway, I haven't seen the report, but it was a pretty int
eresting site.

good luck.

Linda Derry
Old Cahawba