HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carl Steen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 1996 12:52:36 -0500
Can anyone point me to some good recent works focusing on vernacular
architecture of the second half of the 18th century in the south? I am
working on a report on excavations at the John de la Howe site, occ.
1770-1797 in McCormick/Abbeville County SC. De la Howe was a Frenchman and
his dwelling was a post in ground, clay walled structure. The only documented
structure of his neighboring French settlers was a classic German style
full-dovetailed  log structure. Information on French vernacular architecture
in similar contexts would be greatly appreciated. Louisisana, Midwest?
Thanks, Carl Steen