HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
bartoy kevin m <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 1997 08:19:23 -0400
Dear list-

I am no expert on this matter by any means, but since this vein has
lasted so long, I feel the necessity to put my two bits in (or at least a
nickel). Is anyone familiar with a device known as a lye hopper? Straw is
placed at the bottom of this above ground device and wood ash is placed
above the straw. As water is poured over the ash, lye comes out of the
bottom of the hopper and is collected in a bucket. The lye can then be
tested with an egg for strength. The only archaeological remnant of this
process may be the four small postholes of the hopper and a chemical
trace of lye which dripped out. After the lye is obtained, it is then
added to a vat (usually an iron kettle) of lard which has been boiled
down. I have been told that the lye and lard must be constantly stirred
over the heat in order to get the correct consistency for soap. The
boiling may take only two to two-and-a-half hours. The thickened liquid
is then poured into a mold. It's consistency at this point is almost that
of the soap. Only a small bit of cooling is necessary for it to congeal.

I'm sure that there are more ways to make lye soap than there are to skin
that proverbial cat (any cat bones in these features?). I hope this
method has shown a little light on the debate. I don't know how to render
lard, but if you are looking for an answer to the bone question, you may
want to look at the rendering process rather than the soap making
process.

Was that more like a dime?

Take care,
Kevin M. Bartoy.