HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Peter Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 1997 23:38:59 +0930
Twentieth century industrial sites frequently have scatters of containers
for diesel fuel, lubricating oil or gasoline, variously called drums or
barrels, typically cylinders fabricated from sheet steel, capacity normally
40 gallons or 44 gallons (c. 200 litres).  What I'm talking about is
basically your average 44 gallon drum.

But they take several forms.  Early ones (1900-1930s?) tend to be squat and
have thin corrugated sides, later ones (1940s-present) are more slender, of
thicker steel with two stiffening bands, and are slightly larger in
capacity.   I would like to get a clearer historical picture of the
manufacture of these drums, and when changes in their design occurred.

Can anyone suggest sources of information on the history of fuel oil containers?

 Peter Bell

Dr Peter Bell, Historical Research Pty Ltd
PO Box 3044, Rundle Mall  5000,  Australia
Phone/Fax:  (08) or (+618) 8338 2460
Mobile/Cellular:  (+61) 015 793 652
e-mail: [log in to unmask]