HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Chris Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 11:23:11 -0500
Dear list members,
    I want to thank those who have already contacted me (off list) ref
my inquiry about an underground brick structure at the Augusta Arsenal.
There have been several helpful suggestions.  The suggested
possibilities are: a small powder magazine, a cistern, or a "bee hive"
septic tank.

    In my attempt to be brief in the original post I left out detailed
information.  To wit: there was no point of egress without removal of
the domed top of the structure.  There were other powder magazines
located elsewhere.  An 1875 map indicates several cisterns, but none
near the location of our feature.  For the moment, based on these facts,
I am still sticking with the sump interpretation, but would like to hear
from anyone who has further thoughts or suggestions.

   This morning I have hastily put together a quick and dirty web page
with a map and two photos of the feature.  This can be viewed at:
     http://www.aug.edu/history_and_anthropology/arsenal.htm

    Thanks again for the responses and I hope there may be others.

    Chris Murphy