HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Anne Stolla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Aug 1997 11:32:01 -0700
To Adrian about psuedo-sites for students: by a neat twist of timing, I read
your posting after returning from helping to build just such a site here on the
campus of the U. of La Verne (So. Cal.) and would also like to be in touch with
others doing this.  Ours is aimed at grades 5 - 8 but would work for college
kids too.  We have 3 levels, early prehistoric, late prehistoric and historic,
separated by 10 cms of sterile.  Our Great Hole is about 8 meters sq. and 70
cms deep, dug for us by the city of La Verne but backfilled by us, a major
undertaking. We created features and liberally sprinkled artifacts, most
out-of-provenience donations from SB County Museum.  We will grid this off and
hopefully it will last a while, as redoing it will again be a monster.  We have
17 classes signed up already to come dig, after their teachers go through a
13-hour intro. to Archaeology, complete with lesson plans and web site for
afterwards.  Would be happy to share more off-list.  Anne Duffield-Stoll at
[log in to unmask] Behavioral Sciences, U. of La Verne, 1950 3rd St. La Verne CA
91750 (909) 593-3511 ext. 4170