HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Fri, 27 Sep 2013 19:34:50 -0500
Tobias and HistArchers Worldwide:
I apologize for my parochialism. I'll avoid Three Letter Acronyms (TMAs) in future and try to avoid or define the regional terms that may be obscure to many list participants.
As Carol noted, we are talking about the business of archaeology--commercial archaeology, unfortunately termed Cultural Resource Management Archaeology--and the exploitation of labor, especially the people who do most of the work in field and lab. There are institutions in the United States that should and, if slowly, trying to resolve issues of low pay and unpaid training positions that really do not train.

I very much would appreciate hearing views and experiences of those working around the world, whether or not they consider themselves to be historical archaeologists, prehistorians, or generalists.

Jim

James G. Gibb

Gibb Archaeological Consulting

2554 Carrollton Road