HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Gronenborn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 1997 17:40:39 +0200
Hi Stephanie,

for Central Europe, which is all I can speak for, the field is very new.
Indeed up to now there is only one University where 'Archaeologie der
Neuzeit' is covered partly (Obviously for Europe the term Historical
Archaeology is a bit odd and largely omitted). This is the University of
Bamberg (http://www.uni-bamberg.de/~ba5am1/home.html). These pages are also
availible in English and have a lot of links to further sites, which however
focus on the Middle Ages.

Other than that the field is just beginning to raise interest with new
excavations within city cores in former East Germany, partly these new
excavations are covered in the regional journals (all German). Other than
that, all I can come up with at the moment is the following volume (also in
German):

Fehring, G. P.(1996) Stadtarchäologie in Deutschland. Archäologie in
Deutschland. Sonderheft 1996. Konrad Theiss (Stuttgart)

However, I will give it a further thought.

best,

D. Gronenborn

Dr. Detlef Gronenborn

Sonderforschungsbereich 268                      privat:

Seminar für Vor- und Fruehgeschichte             Kronberger Str. 21
Archaeologie und Archaeobotanik Afrikas /
Robert-Mayer-Str. 1                              D-60323 Frankfurt am Main

D-60325 Frankfurt am Main                        0049-(0)69-17 38 17

* visit our webside: http://www.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de/~sfb268/c7/c7.htm *