HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2006 22:17:00 -0500
I would just add that those dates appear about right in my memory.
Around 1960-1963 there was an attempt to create a new type of milk
container for school lunches. It was a box in the shape of a
volumetric right triangle. Imagine for a moment a plastic tube and
cardboard flattened at the ends but in 90 degree opposition to each
end. They stacked well, and a small area was left open and covered
with a piece of red tape. Each container came with a sharp plastic
straw, which, after removing the red tape, one would pierce the
plastic "underlayment" below the paperboard exterior and access the
milk. However, it was quite sealed and any pressure on the container
caused a stream of milk to be issued with some force from the end of
the plastic straw. Needless to say it at the time did not last long,
or the invention would be in more memories. Today, the manufacture
technique is used in many containers for many products.

A memory of Wood Road Elementary School, Centereach, NY, where Kiwi
Sir Edmund Hillary once visited.