HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 19:03:32 -0800
I'd not even considered that "pot hunters" might publish, nor am I sure
that those non-archaeologists who do publish should be counted as
"pothunters", perhaps interested amateurs? As for identification, I just
read Toulouse's introduction to "Bottle Makers and Their Marks". It's not
for archaeologists, it's for (gasp!) COLLECTORS! If a professional out
there wants to better him, I wish they would do so soon. It was a definite
challenge to find a copy of Toulouse for my library.

Robert C. Leavitt
UNR Retread Student

At 1/20/00 17:06 , you wrote:
>Never fear the axe--it awaits us all.
>Actually "pothunters" (I use the term parenthetically now) publish in their
>own journals. Some of the work is quite well informed if a bit on the
>antiquarian side. many of them fancy themselves better identification
>experts that the pros.
>Meanwhile many professionally dug sites never produce meaningful research.
>I don't mean this as a sanction (God help us) but rather as a way to
>complicate the picture.

Cogito, ergo cogito sum.