HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2007 14:42:02 EDT

In a message dated 10/1/2007 10:48:12 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

So I  take digital images to use, and black/white for the
record.  I may  just have the black/white film developed and not bother
trying to print  them any more.  That way, the state can still archive
the  negatives.

My experience with digital prints, even on archival paper, is they fade.  The
Fort Guijarros Museum Foundation organized a World War II history event in
1999 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of U.S. Army Fort Rosecrans. All the
digital prints were mounted on foam board and stored in a room with UV
filters  on the floursecent lighting, but the prints faded to an orange-red color or
 totally vanished. I remain a firm believer in printing with the old
chemicals on  acid-free paper and storing them in a dark, cool, room.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.