HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"K. Kris Hirst" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 08:43:20 -0600
Hello All:

With some amount of fear and trembling, I quietly announce the About.com
Guide to Graduate Schools in Archaeology. It's not done, by any means, but
there's a good head start. The plan is for each department generating MA
and/or PhD level archaeologists to have a page on the guide, detailing
addresses, home page links, degrees, archaeology faculty and faculty
interests, and departmental strengths, the last two of which are used to
build a keyword list. I'm doing this partly because I've lost what little
mind I have left, and partly because I get email all the time from
prospective students wanting to know where to study what.

There's only about 150 schools listed to date, and I plan to continue to
add and add and add, on a global level, and including Anthropology,
History, Classics, and Art and Art History departments in the mix. If I
missed your school, I would appreciate a stern lecture on the point. Here's
the URL:
http://archaeology.about.com/education/archaeology/library/univ/blggsa.htm
and comments are warmly welcomed.

Thanks are due to the hundred or so schools who sent back comments as I was
in this process.

kris
Kris Hirst
Office of the State Archaeologist