HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Homer Thiel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 1997 16:11:49 MST
I'm analyzing proprietary medicine bottles dating from 1883-1915. The following
reference has proved to be very useful:

Cramp, Arthur J. (compiler)
  1921 Nostrums and Quackery. Volume II. American Medical Association, Chicago.

Unfortunately, several medicines are either not in the book, or are on pages tha
t have been torn out of my copy (which is from the University of Arizona library
.

Also useful has been:

Baldwin, Joseph K.
  1972 A Collector's Guide to Patent and Proprietary Medicine Bottles of the Nin
teenth Century. Thomas Nelson, Inc., New York.

Fike, Richard E.
  1987 The Bottle Book. Gibbs M. Smith, Salt Lake City.

ANy additional information on these products would be appreciated:

CHAPOTEAUT, PARIS  (cod liver oil according to Fike)

LITHIATED HYDRANGEA

CHAMBERLAIN'S TABLETS

DR. THOMPSON'S EYE WATER, NEW LONDON, CONN (eye wash?)

JOB MOSES (female complaints according to Fike)

CITRATE OF MAGNESIA (antacid?)