HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Natalie Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 1995 13:39:33 -0400
Thought I'd pass this article from The Associated Press along for those of
you who haven't seen it. It was in The State newspaper, Columbia, S.C. It
doesn't look too good for the Hunley. Although I'm in South Carolina, I won't
make comment on the accuracy of the depiction of the Institute of Archaeology
and Anthopology. Sorry for the multiple posts.

Title--Author bogs down Hunley search--USC research team called incompetent.

Charleston -- An angry author who first uncovered the Confederate submarine
Hunley off Charleston's coast has slowed the salvage efforts and brought out
a battle akin to the Civil War.
     Clive Cussler, whose team announced the discovery a month ago, says he
won't cooperate further because the University of South Carolina research
team that wants to control the project is incompetent.
     "I didn't spend 15 years looking for it only to have it broken up by
amatuers," Cussler said of the school's Institute of Archaeology and
Anthropology. "Until I see a comprehensive plan put together by qualified
people, they won't get any cooperation from me."
     Mark Newell, the institute's director of the Hunley project, said
Cussler's criticisms have no basis. He said the institute is consulting as
many experts in the world of archaeology and recovery as possible.
     The 40-foot submarine sunk Feb. 17, 1864, off Sullivan's Island after
ramming 100 pounds of black powder into the stern of the Union warship
Housatonic.
     Its future is cloudy, even among those eager to preserve it.
     Cussler won't let his team talk about the coordinates of the find. Plus,
those close to the discovery say offers by Civil War treasure hunters for
pieces from the Confederate prize have been detected, The (Charleston) Post
and Courier reported Saturday.
     The report said $50,000 has been offered for the Hunley's hatch cover,
and there's a $100,000 offer for its propeller.
      Also, different branches of South Carolina's government are not fully
coordinated on the recovery plan, the report said.
     For instance, Gov. David Beasley could soon announce the formation of a
governor's Blue Ribbon Hunley committee. That comes as Attorney General
Charlie Condon and  the institute are expected to release their own detailed
Hunley plan.
     Cussler is afraid the inaction could bring looter's to the site.
     The author has also bickered with Newell, challenging his credentials as
an archaeologist.
     Newell bills himself as an archaeologist and was identified as Dr.
Newell in a New York Times article on the find. Currently he has a master's
degree in journalism.