HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Paul Courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Apr 1997 11:53:20 -0400
When I was at the SHA/SPMA conference in Wialliamsburg I was asked about
glass trumpets re an C18 find from Ephrata Cloister, Pennsylvania. I don't
have an address so I hope someone associated with the site picks this up. I
have found a very close parallel, an 18th century Venetian trumpet in
cristallo (clear glass) in the Glass Museum at Murano, see A. Gasparetto, Il
Vetro di Murano dalle origini ad oggi, Venice 1958, pl 135 and p. 125. I have
not found it in the more recent Venetian catalogues. There is also a
17th-18th century bugle from the Museum of Decorative Art in Prague in
opaline glass believed to be Venetian- see R. Mentasti et al, Mille Anni di
Arte del Vetro a Venezia, Venice 1982, p166: no 255 and K. Hettes, Benatske
Sklo, Prague 1973, no. 186.  I can provide xeroxes of the Mentasti and
Gasparetto  refs. if contacted
Best Wishes Paul Courtney, Leicester, UK