HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Louise Pothier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 18:20:47 -0400
Dear colleagues,

I am presently working on a project in the Old Montreal, which is the
excavation and enhancement of the remains of a chapel built in 1675,
Notre-Dame de Bonsecours. I would like to know if any similar
archaeological site, for the same period, have been discovered, and if the
remains were interpreted and opened to the public. It could be anywhere in
Canada, USA, or elsewhere.

The Montreal remains consist of the stone foundations of the building, 15m
long (45 feet) by 8m large (24 feet), with an apse. Inside the chapel, we
found the altar foundations and what we interpret as the three steps in
front of it (according to the catholic rite). The steps look like three
narrow stone foundations, all the way accross the interior of the church.
We can also clearly see the wooden floor, completed burned by the fire that
destructed the chapel in 1754. The site is located under the actual
Notre-Dame de Bonsecours church, wich was constructed over the previous one
in 1771.

Because my function in the archaeologists team is to look for public
interpretation, I am particularly interested in other enhancement projects
of such remains, which will also be the case in Montreal.

Louise Pothier, archaeologist