HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Allen Vegotsky <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Allen Vegotsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 2013 12:27:45 -0400
As a chemist/biochemist, I thought I might toss in a very basic comment on the "heaviness" question that I didn't notice in the discussion as yet.  If brass may be viewed as a replacement of copper by zinc, then the weight of a vessel should be related to the atomic weight of the elements.  Copper has an atomic weight of 63.54.  Zinc's atomic weight is almost the same at 65.37.  I would expect that replacing copper with zinc could make a vessel a little bit heavier, but the increase would be insignificant, especially if the alloy is predominantly copper. This is probably an oversimplification because I am not taking into account the changes in physical properties of the brass alloy.
Allen