HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Linda Derry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 1996 18:21:46 EST
-- [ From: Linda Derry * EMC.Ver #2.5.03 ] --

We are developing an education center and some discovery boxes for an archaeolog
ical park.  Many local teachers and students have expressed an interest in under
water archaeology.  Unfortunately, my staff does not have any background in this
 subfield.   We were considering purchasing a Delta Science Module for grades 6-
8 called "If Shipwrecks could Talk."  This module has been described as follows:
  "Through cross-curricular activities that integrate science, students learn wh
ere mariners sailed, the methods and tools they used to navigate, and common cau
ses of shipwrecks.  They also investigate how archaeologists discover, map, inte
rpret, and preserve shipwrecks as precious artifacts of the past.  Includes a 15
 min. video."

Unfortunately, this activity kit cost a hefty price, so I am hesitant to purchas
e it sight unseen.  I was wondering if anyone on the list has used this module o
r heard anything about it.  I a particularly interested in learning if it promot
es good archaeological ethics.

thank you for your consideration.

Linda Derry
Old Cahawba