HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 1995 09:11:22 EDT
Linda,

That was an interesting observation on your privie. The neighborhood
Robin and I lived in for 10 years here in downtown Richmond has quite
a few privies still standing, and I've often wondered if some
continued in use for servants after indoor plumbing became the norm.
What's incredible, however, is that many of these privies are still
used every day. In casual conversation with the very old (mid-90s at
the time, since died) gent who lived next store I broached the
subject of his continued use of the privie. I was fishing to find out
if he indeed had indoor plumbing. He chuckled, noted that there were
three toilets in the house, but he could never get used to them. Just
ain't no accountin' for taste, I s'pose.

Dan Mouer