HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Silas Hurry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 1996 21:23:51 -0500
I am seeking information on prohibition-era still sites.  This past
Saturday, as part of a volunteer archaeology field project, we recorded
an abandoned still site in the Battle Creek drainage, Calvert County,
Maryland.  The metal boiler had apparently been blown apart by
"revenuers" and portions lay on both sides of a small creek.

Initial search on VICTOR found numerous resources in radiometry and
photography related to "stills".  Additional searches with alchohol and
illegal distilling have proven more informative.  A NABD search came up
with L. Abbott's report on the Charity Lake project in Patrick and
Franklin Counties, Virginia; and R. Pasquill's report in the Francis Marion
National Forest - no state was listed with this reference - is this
South Carolina?

Has any one else out there recorded this type of site during field
surveys?  How about any further study beyond just recordation?  If anyone
has information on this type of site please contact me at
Silas Hurry's e-mail address <[log in to unmask]>.

Thank you for any information and leads you might provide.

Kate Dinnel