HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Hayes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 08:10:57 -0800
Good Morning:
There is a massive report to parliment in the 1840s (1400 pages) on
slavery. I can not remember the proper cite but  I know Carol Wakefield,
the Librarian for the reseach library of the St. Croix Landmarks Society in
the Virgin Islands has a copy.
he email is librarian@landmarks @viaccess.net if my memory does not fail
again (my computer withh all my addresses just crashed) or fax at
340-772-9446 phone 340-772-0598 mail 52 Whim, Frederiksted St. Croix, VI
00840.

At 10:46 AM 12/4/98 +0000, you wrote:
>>Have you looked at the British
>>Parliamentary Papers for the nineteenth
>>century?  The "Blue Books" cover all sorts
>>of topics/testimony upon which Parliament
>>held hearings, including several volumes
>>devoted to slavery.  I don't remember a
>>citation for your particular vessel, but the
>>mechanics of the slave trade and its
>>routes was the subject of major
>>investigation.
>>
>>[The papers are great sources as well for
>>researching sanitary sewerage, living
>>conditions of the laboring poor, and public
>>health.]
>>
>Barbara
>
>Thanks for the advice, Im in Queens today stange enough looking at the
>Parliamentary papers. The local Papers seems to show nothing (more searching)
>and I hope to gather weather reports for the time.
>
>The loyds list gives me more and I have now found all the past captains, so
>Im hoping to find a list for the crew as well as the graves for those who
died.

>It just struck me that there may be records of sale of slaves from these
ships,
>in Jamaica and Havana?
>
>The story of locals building them selves a diving bell out of wood and
concrete
>in 1833 to get at the silver is a story in its self.

David Hayes
MS Candidate
Industrial Archaeology Program
Michigan Technological University