HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jay Kotliar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 1995 10:50:54 -0400
It is arrogant and condescending for  historians  to believe that historical
 archaeologists have no training in historical research.  I stand by my
statement that a good historical archaeologists must be in part a historian.
 This doesn't mean that historical archaeologists can not or should work with
non-archaeologist historians.  I think D. Floyd should be less defensive
about "turf" good and poor historical research probably can be found among
archaeologists and historians. They may have a different approach to
historical research than those who call themselves historians, but that is
for the good.  Archaeology is not simply digging-we are not ditch diggers, we
are social scientists thank you very much.