HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Trish Fernandez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 09:11:00 -0800
Thank you, Adrian - I was just thinking the other day how quiet the
listserve has been :)

This is really my pet peeve. It is the human past we study, whether we be
historians, architectural historians, archaeologists, or the newest
professional title - landscape historian. We're going to confine ourselves
right out of jobs and more importantly, out of the ability to get at the
meat of why what we do is important (of course that's a matter of opinion).

To respond to Carl's comment:  While the archaeology departments may not
list history classes in their catalogs, it's my experience from talking to
the new generation of historical archaeologists that most of us who have
chosen to get our degree in an archaeology department that do not specialize
in historical archaeology have taken all of their electives and additional
classes in history. I don't think the problem is the education that the
students are getting.  I think it's academia.  I know many historians who
have to battle their professors to take archaeology classes and although, as
I said above, many of us historical archaeologists have a lot of training in
history, it is by our own initiative and sometimes tenacity that this is so.