HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Monique E. Kimball" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Aug 2008 07:58:17 -0700
Keith,

Apparently Mark Randall did an update of that article into a book with
Dennis Webb, which I never found.  However, Dennis Webb wrote the 1994
version of "Greenberg's Guide to Marbles" which has photographs of marble
types, as well as a very good discussion of the various types.  Another
classic is Paul Baumann's "Collecting Antique Marbles."  I have the Second
Edition, but I believe I have seen a newer version available recently
online.

My first source was Mark Randall's 1977 article --  Identifying and Dating
19th and 20th Century Marbles -- published in "Southwest Folkore, Vol. 1,
No. 2. which may be an rewrite of the 1971 article.  A second article of
note is in the "Compressed Air Magazine", July/August 1994, entitled
'Marbles: An American Industry Still Involved in a Shoot-out.'

Hope this helps,

Niki Kimball