HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Allen Vegotsky <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 12:16:39 -0500
Let me try out a few possible scenarios for the gallon Chlorox bottles in
the crawl space under a pre-1941 residence.  One possibility is that they
were placed there temporarily with the intention to take them to a land
fill or dump site at a future date.  They may have been too bulky to store
in the kitchen cabinets or garage.  Bearing in mind that "pre-1941" might
imply a depression-period mindset, a second possibility is that they were
being collected and saved for future use, perhaps for business use, and
again they may have been viewed as too bulky to store indoors.  A final
scenario, perhaps unrealistic, is that since the jugs were uncapped and may
have been all chemically malodorous like Chlorox, perhaps a previous
homeowner deliberately placed such bottles in the crawl space periodically
to repel rodents and insect pests from the area?

Allen

P.S. I am receiving the messages from URS loud and clear on my computer- no
scrambling.