HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Mark Staniforth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 1994 11:56:16 +0930
Hello.
My name is Mark Staniforth and I am currently a full time doctoral student
in Visual Arts and Archaeology at Flinders University in Adelaide, South
Australia. My thesis looks at the colonization of Australia mainly in the
period 1788-1850 and uses some of the material excavated from shipwrecks in
Australia during the last twenty years. Also I am hoping to incorporate
some comparative work from other 'colonial' societies like Canada and the
US.

I have a Bachelor's degree in Biology (Murdoch), a Graduate diploma in
Maritime Archaeology (Curtin) and a Master's degree in History (Sydney) -
my Master's thesis examined the experiences of convicts and emigrants
during their voyages to Australia during the first half of the nineteenth
century.

I have long standing interests in underwater archaeology, CRM and museum
display having worked in underwater cultural resource management and as a
curator at the Australian National Maritime Museum during the last ten
years or so.

Mark Staniforth
Discipline of Visual Arts and Archaeology
Flinders University of South Australia