HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"<Jack_Eastman> DIGEST" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 2008 19:27:48 -0500
Hi Rita,
This might help:   I checked my copy of "Early Sixteenth Century Glass Beads
in the Spanish Colonial Trade" by Marvin T. Smith and Mary Elizabeth Good
(1982, Cottonlandia Museum, Greenwood MI, 64 pages), and found that they
used a fairly limited range of Munsell pages.   I know you can purchase
individual Munsell pages (we regularly re-order extra copies of the 10YR
page).  Here's a quick list:

2.5PB, 5PB, 7.5PB
2.5B, 5B, 7.5B, 10B
2.5G, 5G
10BG, 2.5RP, 2.5Y, 7.5R, 10GY

I met Marvin at the 1993 Southeastern Archaeology Conference, and as he was
autographing my copy of the publication, he mentioned that their biggest
concern with the publisher was ensuring the accuracy of the color of the
four color plates (129 beads at 1:1 scale).
I'm no expert, but these few Munsell pages should cover the range of color
in most bead collections, since most trade beads were made with similar
technology within a fairly homogenous cultural tradition.  (Oh No, now the
bead experts are going to crucify me)  Anyway, it's a lot cheaper than
buying the whole Munsell catalog for $675.  I don't have the ordering
information handy, but if you have trouble finding the pages I could check
where we get them.  Maybe you could get a grant from your department to buy
them for the archaeology lab (?). It never hurts to ask...

I'd be interested to hear how your project turns out.
Jack Eastman