HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Diane Houdek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Aug 1998 10:42:57 -0500
Linda

Please get in touch with Dr. Anne Grauer at Loyola University
([log in to unmask]).  She has done excavations on two poorhouse
sites in the city of Chicago, and could be a great deal of
assistance, I believe.

>>> Automatic digest processor HISTARCH Digest - 11 Aug 1998 to 12
Aug 1998

Has anyone out there worked on a rural 19th century poorhouse site?
We're about to monitor the installation of a walking trail near a
poorhouse site, and I don't really know what to expect. Shovel tests
across the affected portion of the 8 acre poorhouse tract turned up
only a very sparse scattering of artifacts (mostly brick bits).  The
historical documentation here in Dallas County Alabama seems to
suggest that the "poorhouse" was simply a collection of small cabins.
 And . . . if you read between the lines. . . . , a minister's diary
implies the possibility of a pauper's cemetery and a gallows located
nearby.   I'd appreciate hearing from anyone with experience on a
similar site. (that is : rural poorhouses, not pauper's cemeteries).

Linda Derry ([log in to unmask])
Old Cahawba Archaeological Park
Alabama Historical Commission=20

End of HISTARCH Digest - 11 Aug 1998 to 12 Aug 1998