HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Frank Kohout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Aug 1997 10:01:20 -0500
To Peter Bell and other HISTARCHERS interested in steel drums.

Since I have seen no response from certified experts to Peter Bell's query
about steel drums, I'm offering a semi-expert response (hoping this doesn't
violate  SOPA/ROPA standards).  My family has been in the drum business
since the late 40's, although I, the black sheep, ended up in academia.

Peter Bell (from Australia) asked: Can anyone suggest sources of information
on the history of fuel oil containers?

There is a fairly detailed history that covers the U.S. drum industry and
may be useful for Australia as well.  [Although I have never seen this book,
I am told that it attributes the invention of the steel drum to none other
than Nellie Bly, the turn-of-the-century newspaper reporter and feminist,
who first became a celebrity when she bested Jules Verne's fictional 80-day
round-the-world trip by about 8 days.]

The history book is entitled "55 Gallon," which refers to the most common
standard size for U.S. drums (1 U.S. gal. approx.= 0.83 Imperial gal.)  It
is published by the Association of Container Reconditioners and they would
probably be happy to send you a copy.  [As their name implies,
"reconditioners" are companies that prepare drums for re-use after each trip
-- they clean them, smooth out the dents, remove the paint, repair leaks,
re-paint them, and re-sell them to shippers.]  The address:

   Attn: Joan or Marriane
   Assoc. of Container Reconditioners
   8401 Corporate Drive, Suite 140
   Landover, MD  20785-2224

There is also an association of new-drum manufacturers, which may also have
prepared a history or, at least, would have relevant information.  Direct
your inquiry to:

  Attn:  David Core
  Steel Shipping Container Institute
  1101 14th Street NW