HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Misty Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2017 10:05:42 -0400
Dear Histarchers,

Though it’s approaching the eleventh hour for abstract submissions, my colleagues Wes Andrews (THPO, Little Traverse Bay Bands of Odawa Indians), Calvin Gillett, and I would like to invite anyone who is interested to participate in a session we are planning that focuses on Native and non-Native and community collaborations, with an emphasis on a landscape research approach. The session abstract is:

Native American historic and cultural preservation initiatives have experienced a dramatic increase in recent years, especially within the context of Tribal Historic Preservation Office (THPO) programs. In 2016 the Little Traverse Bay Bands of Odawa THPO embarked upon a broad community based collaboration that is aimed at understanding the cultural landscape within their ancient homeland in northern Michigan known as Waganakising. This landscape includes a nineteenth century Methodist mission church and associated farmsteads which are a focus of our current phase of the study. Collaborators include Native American and non-native historians, archaeologists, youth, architects, land owners, church members, and educators. The LTBB THPO invites you to share your landscape approach activities, especially those involving community collaborations, in an effort to understand and encourage the growth of this form of research design and interpretation.

Please forward this to anyone you think would be interested.

Thanks.

Misty

Misty Jackson, Ph.D., RPA
Arbre Croche Cultural Resources,
214 South Main Street
Leslie, Michigan 49251
www.arbrecroche.com
517-525-3060
Center for Maritime and
Underwater Resource Management
www.cmurm.org

Arbre Croche Cultural Resources is a Woman-Owned Small Business

"I can testify that friendship has literally cured a fever, and the medicine of daily affection, a bad wound." Walt Whitman