HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ned Heite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 06:07:25 -0500
Mary

Thanks for taking the time to send the Miller citation on potash.  My
problem is the chemical footprint under a known soapmaking pit. The soil
chemicals would tell the tale. As Dan points out, the pit makes no sense,
but there it is, and I need to explain it. The likeliest suspect is a pit
in which they set down their pot, or skin, or whatever they used to make
the mix.

There was a two step process, in which the lye was made and then combined
with the fat.  My sister-in-law, who uses this process, says the pit makes
sense to her.

Pit contents invariably include oyster shells, chimney ash including
chimney daub, and such offal as hog heads amd feet that could have been
involved with providing the fat. The pits never show any sign of burning.

See you in Williamsburg!

Ned Heite