HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Michiel Bartels <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 1997 11:57:26 +0100
Dear David and mr. M. Baeudry,

I have been away for a while from the nweb-site but now I found your
message about Madeira and the winetrade.
Last summer I visted the Portugese island and the capital Funchal.
Acheological reports of the island are scarce. There are however two
important things.
The first is the exhibithion of the cesspit-finds of the 'Christopher
Columbus' house. It is a first-half of 17th century complex with many
Spanish amphora's, Dutch and Portugese majolica and loads of other
things. Typical are the huge sugar-cones (melasse) found in it. A
report/booklet (in Portugese) has been written about it and when you
like I can send you a copy. Nice stuff.

Secondly there is a brand new museum (opened may '96) in a village on
the south- coast
of Madeira. It is an ethographical/anthropological museum with a
lovely exhibithion. The material focusses on the grape-growing and
the wine-trade. They have a lot of 'log-books' and records, as well
as a nice b/w photo collection. I forgot what the place is called,
but I can easily look it up for you.

The island has an Island-archaeologist at Funchal with a small
service.

hope to hear from you,

Michiel Bartels
State Service for Archaeology