HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jeff Watts-Roy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 1997 21:44:36 -0400
To the recent coin vandal, isn't it illegal to punch holes in coins?

While clearing a beach of debris along the Ohio River, just north
of Louisville (12 miles or so) I discovered a pierced Spanish coin
with the date of 1802.  This land was part of a large 19th cent.
upper South plantation with many slaves.  We weren't digging, we
were clearing the beach for a bon-fire party that night.

When I visited Guatemala a few years back, many of the Highland Maya
wore pierced coin necklaces--some of the dates of these coins were
quite old (most 19th cent. and several early 20th cent.).

Jeff W-R