HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Martha Zierden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2018 12:14:26 -0400
Rita and Linda,
It was a little more complicated than that.  The south side of the redan is
in an asphalt-paved parking lot, while the north side is in one of the
city's historic cobblestone streets.  Temporary removal of the cobbles for
a drainage project was the impetus for our dig.  So, then the city replaced
the cobbles.  We were fortunate to receive the SEAC Public Outreach Grant
for this project, and had planned on some sort of 'painted' outline, for a
few hundred dollars.  The City that that was unworthy, and agreed to fund
the brick paving (10x more, at least).  This was more permanent, and much
more visible as it traversed two different paved surfaces.
The paved outline is accompanied by two waysides, all funded by the SEAC
grant.

And, interestingly, we all suspected that the large cobblestones were not
that 'historic'.  Excavations revealed multiple levels of paving, one of
the earliest being very small flint cobbles, that had cemented themselves
together rather nicely.  A much more user-friendly surface!
Martha

--
Martha Zierden
Curator of Historical Archaeology