HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kerry Ogata <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jun 1995 06:22:28 -0500
As far as I know, colonial Moravians in the US were concentrated in NC and
Pennsylvania (Salem, Bethabara, Bethlehem). There was an article in one of
the 1994 issues of _Historical Archaeology_ on Moravians in Winston-Salem
(sorry, don't have mine here in VA with me, so I don't know which issue).
Leland Ferguson at University of South Carolina has also published some
papers for the people who run Old Salem on Moravians and their
relationships with African Americans (both Moravian and non-Moravian) in
Winston-Salem.  He can be contacted at the Anthropology Dept., University
of South Carolina, Columbia, SC 29208  (803) 777-6500.  Leland worked
closely with a historian who is writing his thesis on Old Salem Moravians,
and he's there again off and on this summer doing archaeology.  I'm sure
you can find helpful sources in the HA article and Leland's papers.

Kerry

Kerry Ogata