HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Mark Branstner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2006 08:05:13 -0600
Ron,

Basically, predicated on a little more reading and the comment
provided by this list, it appears that "Queensware" is a contemporary
trade term used from at least ca. 1810 - 1880, and probably broader
than that.  Its use does not appear specific to any particular ware
or decorative motif, but only generally to refined (maybe white)
earthenwares.  At least that's my understanding so far ...

As some one else mentioned, despite the fact that it is a
contemporary term, its non-specificity will preclude its use in
anything that I write.  In fact, given its creamware association,
which I grew up on, I think its downright confusing and implies a
level of detail/analytical understanding that is not warranted.

Thanks for everybody's comments.
--

Mark C. Branstner

Illinois Transportation