HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
jack hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2012 09:25:58 -0700
Hi Katie,
A few thoughts before I go out the door for a week.
We have a beach site in California we've been working on for many years.
If the sand is slightly wet, it will not go through your screens. Out of
desperation we developed a technique of the digger laying out a shovel full
of sand on the back dirt whereby the would be screener goes through it with
their fingers. If there's a strong enough wind the surface sand will dry
out and blow into your diggers face.  We use neck scarf over the mouth and
plastic goggles over the eyes. We find the artifacts in a depth zone
(depending where on the beach profile we are), suggestive of a lag layer
resulting from storm activity in history.  Artifacts heavy enough stay on
site and winnow down to greatest depth of disturbance.  While 1x1s and 1x2s
have their place in exploration of the site, we find treanching goes
faster.  Dry sand around the top of the unit falls in but wet sand
comprising the walls holds their shape until drying out. Depending on the
depth of the water table behind the berm (usually about a meter or so) your
depth will be limited by it's presence.  You probably surmise all of this
already.  Good luck.

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 8:25 AM, Katherine Hull <[log in to unmask]