HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Mark Henderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jan 2000 17:23:43 -0800
I know this thread is old and cold, but I would like to respond to the request

Philip Levy wrote:

>  Is there a powerful antipothuntng argument
> that is better than the one I outlined in the second paragraph? I know that
> there are lots of strong feelings here, but I would be interested if anyone
> has mounted a persuasive and effective argument against pothunting that
> pothunters can recognize.
>
> Phil Levy

Leave No Trace(LNT), Inc. [  http://www.lnt.org/  ] has developed six principles
of outdoor ethics.  The one applying to archeology (and all collecting) is:
"4. Leave what you find"....'so others may have the thrill of discovery.'
This simple message seems to play quite well with students, scout groups, civic
organizations and visitors  in my small rural western US community for people
who already see some use beyond commercial value for the pieces of the past.
When the message can be reinforced by the availability of public participation
programs in archeological research it can be very heartening.  Also when
presented along with the other LNT principles it does not seem as heavy handed
or self serving, but part of a world view that stresses getting along with
others in this increasingly crowded world.  Resource use sustainability and
environmentally conscious behavior is of concern to many citizens in many
nations as has been alluded to by other commentators on this topic.    Again I
apologize if this topic is stale for the list.
Mark Henderson (not on duty)
Ely, Nevada USA