HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"April M. Beisaw" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2001 05:26:53 -0700
Kristi,

Birds do not undergo epiphyseal "fusion". Growth
occurs at ossification centers as the cartilaginous
precursor ossifies. This occurs very quickly, by 8
months of age in chickens. Bird bone is therefore
usually limited to  classification as juvenile or
adult.

As for mammal ribs, in general it is very difficult
identify isolated archaeological ribs to the species
level. This is why very few reference texts discuss
them. Unless you have fairly complete adult ribs (with
the proximal articulation), identification is usually
limited to size groups such as medium mammal. Due to
this difficulty in identification, assigning species
specific ages to ribs is generally not undertaken.

A good reference for domestic animal bone fusion
tables is:
Silver, I. A. (1970) The Ageing of Domestic Animals.
In Science in Archaeology.D. Brothwell and E. Higgs,
editors. Prageger Publishers.

-April
April M. Beisaw, RPA
Zooarchaeology and Taphonomy Consulting