HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Rene Casebeer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 17:15:54 -0700
Kris,

As an undergrad I assisted in an inventory of culturally peeled trees (all
lodge pole and ponderosa) in Idaho. We basically recorded data on each tree
including a photograph, sketches of the scar shape, tree diameter, and
measurements of the scar.  I have heard that these trees are also found in
Montana within the wilderness areas. I was told that these trees were peeled
by the native americans, who harvested the cambium layer in the spring as a
food source. You may want to get in contact with them (the forest service)
to see how they manage their trees.

Rene