Reply To:
HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jan 2017 22:46:40 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (58 lines)
We use a highly competent adobe contractor-historic architect team out of Tucson if anyone is interested in more details. They work in both New Mexico and Arizona. I also work with the best structural engineer anywhere who deals with adobe. He is based in California but works around the world.
Terry Majewski

-----Original Message-----
From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of John Foster
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2017 3:14 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Adobe structure preservation

Gil said he was going to contact Terri. John Foster, RPA Greenwood-Associates.com Greenwood and Associates

On Thursday, January 12, 2017 12:02 PM, "Barbour, Matthew, DCA" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I am not sure about the price but I use Crocker Ltd. out of Santa Fe, New Mexico on many of my projects. In broad terms, good architectural preservation isn't cheap. They work on both my adobe structures at Coronado and my stone structures at Jemez.

Matt

Matthew Barbour
Regional Manager
Coronado and Jemez Historic Sites
[log in to unmask]
O- (575) 829-3530
C- (505) 220-3270

Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2017 12:40 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Adobe structure preservation

The historical society that I am affiliated with was recently deeded a stone and adobe structure built in 1883 as a Railroad Hotel and Eating House for the Southern Pacific at its original western terminus in Daggett, California. It was then owned and/or lived in by various people famous in Western folklore like Aaron Winters (discovered Borax in Death Valley) who renamed it The Stone Hotel, and Walter Scott (Death Valley Scotty) who had a permanent room there.

The building is still standing, but a structural engineer has quoted us 500k to stabilize the walls. He says that it is not stone and adobe, it is stone with a sand morter with no structural strength at all. Yet the building appears in good shape with the only visible damage confined to a small wall between two doors.  No other cracks are visible. The building also has a solid roof that was replaced just a few years ago.

Is there anyone experienced in preserving this type of historic building who could tell us if 500k is a reasonable amount, and if there are cheaper but still effective preservation methods? The contractor wants to use shotcrete and metal mesh to preserve the appearance of the walls, but the interior walls are covered in drywall, and exterior walls were once encased in plaster. So is preserving the appearance important to maintaining historical integrity? The society does not have that amount of money, but the hotel is very important to the local history.

Teresa Terry

On Jan 9, 2017 4:52 PM, "Linda Hylkema" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I've been trying to ID this Chinese (I assume) porcelain ceramic piece.
There isn't anything quite like it online except something on Pinterest.
That online link is: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/492933121686556055/.
The date suggested online is Ming, 16th century, which is way too old for the site I'm working on. The context for my sherd is a Spanish Colonial mission site in California. The site dates from ca. 1784 to the 1830's.

http://s1172.photobucket.com/user/Linda_Hylkema/media/red%
20green%20overglaze%20porcelain_zpshnopbimb.jpg.html

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Linda Hylkema, RPA
Director, Cultural Resource Management, Santa Clara University
W: *408-554-4513* | C: *408-219-5748* | Ricard Observatory | 500 El Camino Real, Santa Clara, CA 95053 [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2