HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Todd Girdler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 05:37:29 -0800
>Whenever I hear that common statement along the lines of "knowing our
>past so that we don't repeat our mistakes" ... I am always struck by the
>fact that it is seldom heeded. History is little more than a chronicle of
>repititious mistakes. Kevin.

I have to agree with Kevin here. It may be selfish, but I'm studying
archaeology because it interests me. I guess I could just go out and dig up
something purely for my own interest, but such amatuerish excursions would
no doubt destroy more of the site than my little aretefact would be worth.

It has to be remembered that the context of the artefact rather than the
artefact itself usually provides the better information regarding the past.
Activities such as pot-hunting destroys the context, which is why it should
be frowned upon in my opinion

Todd Girdler
Australia