HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
It's a secret <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 1995 15:55:18 -0500
Date sent:  1-JUN-1995 15:26:41

In reagrds to Mary Bernhard's post:

        Yes, an archaeologist from (I think) the American University of
Cairo, Weekes (sic? I think) hight by name has discovered a tomb in the
Valley of the Kings that *maybe* could *possibly* contain the remains of
some 50 of Ramses II's sons. Egyptologists have known about the tomb for
some time (decades, I think) but as it had been looted some 3,000 years
ago, seemingly was unremarkable, and the fact that egyptologists had other
projects, it was left alone for the most part. In fact, when Catrer was
excavating King Tut's tomb, the debris from that project (at least
partially) covered the entrance to the alleged Ramses tomb, if I remember
correctly.
        Anyway, they think the find might be extremely significant if they
find evidence of the interrment of Ramses' first son, a biblical figure (
full discussion of this is beyond my sketchy memory- and my Bible-lore has
never been all that strong) above and beyond the obvious benefits of
finding so *many* high-status people buried in the same place, etc.
Regardless of what is actually there (something yet to be firmly determined
, as I understand it) it is, without doubt, a fantastic find.
        The tomb itself is fairly intact: NBC News recently did a spot on
it, showing the token hieroglyph-and-art covered wall or two, as well as
some shots of the corridors, which in spots seem to be half-filled with
rubble. Granted, that the place is intact at all after 3,500 years is a
testament to the ancient builders' skill.
        Time magazine recently did (which is where most of this is coming
from) a fairly good article on this- within the past two weeks. As far as
information goes, it may very well be the most complete source available,
unless one knows Weekes himself. I rather doubt he's looking for more
publicity at the moment, so I don't expect to hear too much more from the
dig now that the initial media blitz has passed. We'll probably learn more
when he either confirms the presence of Ramses' sons (you know, that really is
sort of ironic that they'd name a condom after him ;) ) or when he's ready
to talk more/publish his preliminary results. I'd just as soon wait for him
to publish- that way we can see the data ourselves and read his analysis,
rather than rely on the news media- they're not archaeologists, and are
going to present the story in a far more general light than perhaps we'd
like. Who knows?
        Sheesh- it's 80+ degrees on a warm summer day, I'm on summer
vacation, have a day off from work, and what do I do? Write about tombs.
Sometimes I got my priorities *all* mixed up. :)

pax,
Jason Menard
Jason Menard                       "Never doubt that a small group of
Depts. of Anthropology & History    thoughtful, committed citizens can change
Computing Support Lab Staff         the world; indeed, it's the only thing
SUNY Plattsburgh, Plattsburgh, NY   that ever does." - Margaret Mead

Bitnet: [log in to unmask]  Internet: [log in to unmask]
____________________...Archaeologists do it in the dirt...____________________
 "Fencers only recognize fencers, potential fencers, and hopeless invalids."
                                                -Aldo Nadi, _On_Fencing_