HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2007 08:48:21 -0700
Friends and colleagues: Legendary personages are not always purely
mythological or simply the stuff of Hollywood movies: sometimes they are
very real.  Such is the case with the pirate Blackbeard, the subject of
Queen Anne's Revenge Overview, the latest video feature on our nonprofit
streaming-media Web site, The Archaeology Channel
(http://www.archaeologychannel.org).

Blackbeard, the most notorious pirate in the history of seafaring, met his
end on the North Carolina coast in 1718.  In 1996, divers searching for
shipwrecks discovered a room-sized mound of cannons, anchors, and ballast
stones that state underwater archaeologists agreed quite possibly was the
remains of Blackbeard's flagship, Queen Anne's Revenge, lost at that
location in 1718.   This video highlights recent underwater excavations
conducted at the site, representing one of the most ambitious archaeological
assessments of a North Carolina shipwreck.  Through the artifacts recovered
from that site, Blackbeard steps out from the shadows of the past and
becomes a tangible historical figure.

This and other programs are available on TAC for your use and enjoyment.  We
urge you to support this public service by participating in our Membership
(http://www.archaeologychannel.org/member.html) and Underwriting
(http://www.archaeologychannel.org/sponsor.shtml) programs.  Only with your
help can we continue and enhance our nonprofit public-education and
visitor-supported programming.  We also welcome new content partners as we
reach out to the world community.

Please forward this message to others who may be interested and let us know
if you wish to be removed from our mailing list.

Richard M. Pettigrew, Ph.D., RPA
President and Executive Director
Archaeological Legacy Institute
http://www.archaeologychannel.org

Windows Live Hotmail. Even hotter than before. Get a better look now.
www.newhotmail.ca?icid=WLHMENCA148