HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Megan Springate <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 1996 18:15:19 -0400
* This message has been cross-posted to Histarch, and Artifact. I
apologize for any duplicates you may receive!

Greetings.

I am currently working towards my MA. The collection I'm studying comes
from around an icehouse, part of a larger-scale excavation of a property
in Mississauga, Ontario. The site dates ca. 1837 onwards.

There are two bottles in this collection which I'd like some more
information on, particularly if this information includes dates. The
sources I have already investigated are listed after the bottle descriptions.

The first is a moulded patent medicine-type bottle. The base and body of
this rectangular bottle are present; the shoulder, neck, and finish are
absent. It comes from a monitored unit. Width is 21mm; length is 30mm;
maximum height represented is 47mm. Each of the four sides has embossed
lettering, oriented sideways, and legible from the top of the bottle,
towards the base. The visible letters (with the possible completions in
square brackets) are: "[LO]NDON"; "[GE]NUINE"; "[MA]CASSAR OIL";
"[FORT]HEHAIR". An unfinished pontil mark is present on the base of this
bottle. An old edition (1963) of the OED lists Macassar Oil as a kind of
hair oil; so, I'm fairly confident of the bottle's contents. What I'd
like to know is if anyone has found a similar bottle, and in what sorts
of contexts (time, and place).

The second bottle is a bit more mysterious. All that is present is the
base from a fairly large rectangular, light-blue bottle. The base
measures 55mm wide, and approximately 165mm in length. The heel is
chamfered, and embossed on the indented, flat interior panel is "NEW
Y[O]RK". Again, I have been unable to find other examples of this sort of
bottle with NEW YORK embossed on the base. Anyone out there have any
possilbe leads, with respect to dates, or contents?

Sources I have investigated are:
Colcleaser, DE (1965) Bottle of Bygone Days. Reprint by Antique and Hobby
Publishing Co, Amador City, California.

Israel, FL (ed) (1968) 1897 Sears Roebuck Catalogue. (reprint). Chelsea
House Publishers, New York.

Jones, O and C. Sullivan (1989) The Parks Canada Glass Glossary. Parks
Canada: Ottawa

Schroeder, JJ (ed) (1970) Sears, Roebuck and Co. Incorporated Consumers
Guide, Fall 1900 (reprint). Gun Digest Publishing Co., Northfield, Illinois.

Urquhart, O (1976) Bottlers and Bottles, Canadian. S & O Urqhart, Toronto.

Vienneau, A (1969) The Bottle Collector. Petheric Press, Nova Scotia.

Also, several papers and site publications from other Southern Ontario sites.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Megan.

Megan Springate          !   "It is not a revolutionary statement to be part
MA Student, Trent U.     !   of a consumerist marketing niche" - wolfie
Historical Archaeology   !
[log in to unmask]     !   "It's all completely subjective" - Hothead's Lamp