HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Linda Derry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 10:42:54 -0600
Thanks Anita for the news.

Knowing that tourists visiting historical sites spend approx. $114/day vs.
the mere $88/day of the average tourist is a very useful statistic.

Now, I'm wondering if anyone on the list has similar information about
visiting genealogical researchers.  We have alot of people who visit our
area in search of genealogical information.  I have noticed that they tend
appear to be older and wealthier than the average visitor.  Also, if they
find something (in the local courthouse for example) they will stay in our
town for however as many nights at it takes to mine that source.    AND....
they tend to be our biggest donors at our archaeological park, especially if
our site is attached somehow to  their own family history.

Does anyone on the list have similar data on this specific segment of
tourism traffic?  or know where I could look for this type of statistical
information.

Linda Derry ( [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> )
Old Cahawba Archaeological Park
Alabama Historical Commission